Thursday, April 23, 2009

-

A very good friend of mine, an inspiration to me, suggested I do this to keep my desperation in check. 

1) Remind yourself what you are here for. 

I am here to obtain an advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, to learn more and to explore the various fantastic technological developments in my field which in many ways has contributed to the industrial revolution. Man, in his endeavour to create and understand is capable of so much more ! I should focus on learning and developing skills that will help me push the boundaries of science further and understand the intricacies of the universe. 

2) Remind yourself what your goals and missions are. 

My long term goal is this:  I want to become a professor at IIT Madras by the time I am 45 with a big enough bank balance that I wont need the salary to support myself anymore. 

My short term goal is this: I want to score atleast a 90% in my qualifying exam coming up this August. 

My really short term goal is this: Finish grading the exams of ECE321 for which I am the TA and give a smashing good presentation as a fitting finale to my FEA class.  

3) Remember that your family is waiting for you to get back with a PhD. 

I remember. I hope to live up to their expectations. I have set a decent precedent for myself and now should work to live up and exceed their expectations. 

Thanks Kmap for the help. Just writing this down helped. I am glad I pinged you and asked for your advice.

4 comments:

Prashanth said...

I really have nothing to comment..
I am just staring at your post with a smile lost in retrospection...

Arun Manohar said...

Yes, I agree with you on the fact that kmap is the best person in our circle to give proper 'buddhimathi'. and nice da, prof in IIT when you are 45 huh! Prof. Pondy sounds cool. I will make sure all students know you by the name and nothing else :)

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

Harish Suryanarayana said...

I wish I knew. But I like the randomness of that comment.